Route of San Juan
Chapel of San Juan
Originally built in 1534, this chapel still consists of a single nave, which was reconstructed in 1780. The name of the chapel is that of the person who rebuilt it and donated an oil painting of San Juan Bautista with the Holy Lamb. It should also be noted that this church also serves as a burial place, since the philanthropist was buried after his death in the Hermitage, which he himself had rebuilt.
This Ermita is located in the oldest urban area of Güímar, consisting of the El Paseo House, the oldest house in Güímar. Currently she has owners and for a visit a permit is recommended.
Address: Capilla de San Juan, 38500 Güímar
Chapel Calvario de San Juan
This chapel houses the Black Christ, which is of great importance to this neighborhood. It is believed here that only three images with these characteristics can be found throughout the European continent.
The Chiringuito de San Juan
“El Chiringuito de San Juan” is a restaurant where you can taste goat meat, a typical product of the Güímar region. A cozy and familiar place to recharge your energies and finish our journey through the heights of the valley.
Address: Calle de San Juan, 4, 38500, Güímar
Opening hours: Tuesdays to saturdays 10 - 16h, sundays 10h - 17h
Telephone: +34 647 85 10 53
The hydropower station
The hydropower station is called by the Günimareros as "Hidro". Due to the water flow coming from the galleries of the gorges, the company Eléctrica de Canarias decided in 1924 to build a hydroelectric power station here. Its operation consisted in directing the water of several galleries to this building where, due to the unevenness, the speed of the water could move the blades of the electric generator. Thus, the Hidro supplied power to the entire city of Güímar. When the thermal power plant "Las Caletillas" was built, it was no longer put into operation.
Gorge of Badajoz
After visiting Güímar "arriba", the upper part, we can finish the route by following the path of the Barranco de Badajoz. It can be reached from the Plaza de San Juan via a road that leads to the entrance of Barranco.
It is a gorge with a narrow channel and very steep side walls, where there is a large amount of vegetation that can be absorbed into the so-called Monteverde. Another important aspect that is barely mentioned in history today is the abundance of waters. It was also the summer residence of Mencey. This fact is evident in the "Cave of Cañizo".
More recently, there are numerous galleries drilled in the walls to preserve water (Izaña being the oldest). Another very interesting aspect of this gorge are the Dragos, which are located in the steep walls of the bottom of the same.
Address: Barranco de Badajoz, 38500