Monastery of Santo Domingo

Monastery of Santo Domingo



This monastery was built to protect the Virgen de Candelaria from a possible pirate attack. In 1777 it burned and was restored. With the confiscation of Mendizabal (1835) the monastery belonged to the city council. With a latin cross plan, it houses the figure of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, made by the sculptor Luján Pérez and two carvings of San Antonio Abad, as well as Nuestra Señora del Rosario of Rodríguez de Oliva.